Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My idea of "organized" decor for the holidays!

After spending an untold amount of money on storage boxes and surviving hours spent looking for  carefully crafted Christmas decor, lights, and extension cords long enough, but not too long, I have finally arrived at "my" tracking system!

I am happy because I can put up my decorations in one day (with the help of the children and hubby)! I can not take credit for this idea as it came from a friend, but I have finally implemented it for my holiday decorations.
 ALL the items used to create a mantel, table, staircase, piano, etc. display are stored in a box and labeled as to where the items will be used. I even put lights and extension cords in the box and they are used only once a year. Quite possibly, this is wasteful, but it is worth the $1.50 it saves my sanity!
 As the season approaches, the kids lift the boxes from their cozy basement long-term storage spot and haul them near the place that the label in the box directs. The garland strung with lights, ivy, ball, berries, ribbon, etc is then attached to its "home for the holidays" and like magic, Christmas joy is shared by all when the lights appear!
We all know that only in a "magazine" photo display do the lights ALWAYS work.

Half a strand here--- half a strand there--several light strands are found misbehaving!

This year, I even spent $12 to replace the batteries in a little device that is SUPPOSED to detect the burned out bulb so you can replace it. (Thankfully, my meticulous hero I married agrees to take this job) He fixed many a dud light strand this year.

Christmas magic always makes one or two strands begin working simply by "singing" Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer to them--that is the favorite holiday song!
Did I mention that plastic boxes stack NICELY?

This large red box, when opened, reveals white plastic garbage bags labeled with numbers. I stored one strand of outdoor lights in a bag and labeled the bags in numerical sequence as to what bush they were used on. It only took 1 hour to put all the lights up! More time to make (and eat) Christmas cookies!
 Boxes for the upstairs decor are stored in the attic so one does not have to drag the heavy load up the stairs. The same method works for these displays as well!
Do you think Jessica will fit in the box for next year's display? 

Children growing up way too fast and losing the magic of Christmas definitely is not one of my favorite things of the season, but spending time with them is!

7 comments:

HLFackrell said...

If I ever get to a point where I have a lot of decorations to put up, I'm going to follow your example. Fantastic idea, whomever thought of it.

Anonymous said...

I echoe Heidi!! I also cna only say WOW you are amazing!!

Mary Ellen Naylor said...

I sort of do the same but not nearly as organized as you!

Tara said...

That is the joy of spending consecutive years in the SAME HOUSE - I love your system!!!! (I want to be you someday....) :)

Patty said...

Awesome. You go girl.

whitney said...

Wow, I am very, very, verrrry impressed. Both with your uber-organization and all your fabulous decorations :)

The Dooley Family said...

How cool! We bought our first little nativity this year. We're way excited :o) At this point, ALL my holiday decorations for ALL the holidays fit packed away in our ottoman. One day we'll have more--I can't wait! :o)