Wednesday, June 16, 2010

...and a little less technology

Four children, ages spanning 13 years, being entertained with the SAME activity never occurs without screeching whines and stubborn "I WON'T do that." These rare events nearly drive me to inflict various methods of Chinese torture (not to myself!) Driven to the brink-- not dove over the edge----YET---this just MIGHT be the summer where my dearest and nearest friends take a trip to visit me in an institution for  the "motherly insane" where hundreds of nurturing types are detoxing from their children! 

Particularly challenging this year is an emerging adult WITHOUT an exploding bank account, nor the desire to listen before he enters the phase of life where Mom is not around to tell him to not wear socks with flip flops.  Now THAT is noise!!!!!

The MOST used activity that lessens the exposure to decibel maximizing screeches produced by all four being together involves some sort of large, glowing screen with moving persons, places, or things mixed with difficult hand-eye coordination movements. The screen provides HOURS of brain-sucking, quiet time with no "connecting" except with one's pounding headache.

I am guilty of taking the easy way out and letting the children spend hours with this entertainment (modern moms KNOW what I am talking about).

Until Now.


1.  NO cell phones
2.  NO electronics/TV/I-pod/Video Games
3.  Prepare healthy meals/shop together
4.  Clean and Organize the house
5.  "A Little Bit of Lovin"--Must hug and say I LOVE you and offer praise every day.

The featured family had all their "devices" locked in a vault for ONE week and although we aren't asking our children to relinquish their beloved cell phones and I-pods for this long, we wanted them to understand the concept of reconnecting with each other by participating in family activities.

The first day into the challenge......
.....and this is what the kids chose to do WITHOUT their "screen" time.


.....and this is how much we cleaned and organized the toy room together.

It turns out that by turning off all these devices, that the house is 
A LOT NOISIER 
and that the toys get dumped out and played with and it takes me

SCREAMING

at them to pick up the toys and clean their mess!

Does Peter Walsh have kids?!!!!

4 comments:

Tara said...

So funny, Stephanie! I love that you're just standing there silently filming them as they wreck havoc on each other - it looks like a grand time. :) I hope you (and your house) survives the rest the your no-electronics days!

KT said...

I just about fell off my chair laughing when I got to - Does Peter Walsh have kids? Too funny! Good Luck!

Becky said...

Hahaha! You crack me up Stephanie! How on earth are your lovely house and furniture still in tact?! I'll admit, I'm disappointed - I planned on having my sanity back by the time my oldest is your oldest's age. ;-)

whitney said...

I'm with Becky...it's a little daunting realizing it won't be getting much better for a very. long. long. long. time.

You are one brave chica to go tv-free!