Monday, November 16, 2009


The ward I have attended for most of my life (Overland Park 1st Ward) celebrated it's 40th Anniversary yesterday with a Linger Longer. To help celebrate, Br. Hensley asked for submissions of photos from those 4o years to be viewed in a slide-show.


Stored in my attic are 2 boxes of memories from the first 20 years of my life including scrapbooks, journals, photos and letters--we actually used penmanship and paper in the 70's and 80's!

Although I sent and received many letters of encouragement and love during that time, these adorable letters seen in this post are particularly special.

As a 16-year-old, I was in a car accident that knocked me unconscious. Although my injuries were not severe, many family and friends supported me in my recovery. The Don & Carol Deshler family had their 2 youngest children (Jill and Chad), whom I babysat, send me these hand-written notes. So sweet and special!



















This photo is of Kai Deshler, Chad's youngest daughter, whom I love dearly. Every time I see her, she is dressed as SNOW WHITE and has a smile on her face. Her mother, Monet--Chad's wife, is my dear friend as Jessie and their oldest daughter, Melia, are bosom buddies.

My heart is filled with fondness for relationships formed in my youth that continue to sustain me and my family today. How blessed we are to reconnect with many friends and family through modern communication tools. It gives me cause for reflection on the lives that have touched mine and whom I have looked to for support and advice during difficult times.





Today, my family will attend the funeral of our 60-year-old neighbor, Ron. Although of a different Faith, we mourn his passing with his wife and family. He was a dear man, so hard-working and strong despite the physical limitations of melanoma. Carson has been praying for his recovery for 4 years and now prays that he will accept the gospel and be baptized while in Heaven. (temple work submissions!!) Carson is happy he is reunited with his family and not in pain as well.
As the holidays approach, I look forward to many more reunions with those whom I hold so dear. May you too be richly blessed in your quest for sustained friendship.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Stephanie...what a sweet post...I love this time of year mostly for that reason. Catching up with friends old and new, reminiscing about memories long gone...and feeling gratitude for each moment is such a blessing.

Laura said...

So many people pass in and out of our lives so briefly. Lifelong friendships are such a blessing. It is wonderful to know someone so well and to be known.